Cluain Maolain National School
Cluain Maolain An Uaimh Co Meath ,Westmeath C15H3CR
Primary School Roll number: 17089N
Principal: Lavinia Williams
Enrolment: Boys: 120 Girls: 115 (2017/18)
CLONMELLON N.S. ROLL NO.17089 N
This policy was revised in 2011 by the Board of Management of the school.
Clonmellon National School is a Roman Catholic co-educational primary school under the patronage of the Bishop of Meath, Most Reverend Michael Smith. It aims at promoting the full and harmonious development of all aspects of the pupil – intellectual, physical, cultural, moral and spiritual. This Catholic school provides religious education for the pupils in accordance with the doctrines, practices and traditions of the Catholic Church and promotes the formation of pupils in the Catholic faith.
This policy is necessary in order to assist parents in relation to enrolments matters and to comply with relevant legislation.
To assist parents in matters relation to enrolment
To provide clarity and fairness to all issues in relation to enrolment
Name of School: Clonmellon NS
Address: Clonmellon, Navan, Co Meath
Patron: Bishop Michael Smith, Bishop of Meath
Type of School: Co-educational, vertical (Junior Infants-Sixth)
Number of Teachers: 10
The school depends on the grants and teacher resources provided by the Department of Education and Science and it operates within the regulations laid down, from time to time, by the Department. School policy must have regard to the resources and funding available.
- Parents seeking to enrol their child (ren) in Clonmellon N.S are requested to return a completed Enrolment Form (available in the office or on the website) along with a birth certificate to the school by the 31st March each year. This notice will be published in the Parish Bulletin each year prior to the 31st March.
- Children will be enrolled on application provided that there is space available.
- Junior Infants are enrolled in September provided the child has reached his/her 4th birthday. Junior Infants will not be enrolled during the year unless transferring from another school.
- Parents will be asked to confirm in writing that the code of behaviour is acceptable to them and that they shall make all reasonable efforts to ensure compliance with such code by the child.
- Decisions in respect of an application for enrolment will be made by the BoM within 21 days of receipt of such application. The application will not be treated as being complete until such time as all requested information has been received.(See Application Form)
- Children with special educational needs are welcome to enrol in the school and every effort will be made to provide them with an appropriate education as well as to include them in every aspect of school life. The child enrolling in Clonmellon NS will be resourced in accordance with the level of resources provided by the Department of Education to the Board of Management. The Board may request copies of relevant reports or request that the child be assessed immediately in order to assist the school in establishing the educational needs of the child and to profile the support services required.
The school reserves the right to refuse enrolment to a pupil in exceptional cases. Such an exceptional case could arise where either:
- The pupil has special needs such that, even with additional resources available from the DES the school cannot meet such needs and/or provide the pupil with an appropriate education.
- In the opinion of the BOM the pupil poses an unacceptable risk, to other pupils, to school staff or to school property.
In line with Section 28 of the Education Act 1998, parents who are dissatisfied with an enrolment decision, may appeal to the BOM. This appeal must be addressed, in writing, to the Chairperson of the Board, stating the grounds for the appeal, and lodged within ten days of receiving the refusal. If unhappy with the result of this appeal, parents may appeal to the DES under Section 29 of the Education Act on the official form provided by the Department. This appeal must by lodged within 42 days of receipt of the refusal from the school to enrol.
Pupils may transfer to the school at any time subject to the school’s enrolment policy and available space.
This policy will be reviewed periodically by the Board of Management
Circulation of Policy
This policy will be given to all new applicants to the school. It will be published in our yearly booklet and will be available on our school website.
Ratified by the Board of Management: